Agreement in place for 2014 Thai night race
© Red Bull, Getty Images
|27 September 2012 by Ryan Wood||Tweet
Thailand could be the latest addition to the 2014 calendar after plans to host a race in the capital city of Bangkok took a step forward.
The country has been keen to host an event for a few years now, but nothing serious had been discussed until last week when government officials and representatives from Red Bull met with Bernie Ecclestone.
An agreement has been put in place, though no contracts have been signed yet, to hold a night race in the city from as early as 2014, according to governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand Kanokphand Chulakasem.
"It will be a city race like in Singapore and Monaco. It will be a night race like the Singapore Grand Prix," the Bangkok Post quote him as saying.
It's believed the government will fund upwards of 60 per cent of the deal, with private funding from Red Bull and Singha beer making up the remaining 40 per cent.