Sauber's Russian deal hit by Ukraine situation
© Sauber Motorsport AG
|9 May 2014 by TF1T Staff||Tweet
Sauber's Russian backing is under threat due to the current situation in Ukraine, team principal Monisha Kaltenborn confirmed on Friday.
Last year the Swiss team announced a collaboration with three Russian companies which would provide financial and technical support.
However, due to the ongoing problems in Ukraine and the sanctions imposed on Russia, that deal could now be called off.
"We've definitely seen an effect because a lot of our talks, which are very advanced, have virtually come to a standstill because people are waiting and seeing what's going to happen and nobody really knows the entire impact it's going to have.
"The sanctions that have now been imposed here are really biting some of them. So they're very careful which again leads to that we simply have to wait. And there’s nothing we can do about it. So we really hope that the situation can be clarified soon and all our deals can be sorted out."
The crisis could also have an impact on the Russian Grand Prix which is due to take place in October.
Marussia team principal John Booth says they're currently planning to go, but should the situation escalate, they would follow government advice.
"Travel arrangements have been confirmed. There's a charter going direct from Japan to Sochi," he said.
"As to whether we go to Sochi or not, as with Bahrain over the last couple of years we'll follow our [British] government guidelines on whether it’s safe to travel or not, or whether we should go or not."